I am off on holiday in 2 weeks, to Siena (Tuscany, Italy) a place where the lives of every inhabitant within the city walls is defined by a drug fuelled horse race going back to the 16th Century. Now to an outsider this must seem a very strange thing, surely other things are more important, like family, or work?
To me this is not at all weird and not just because I know Siena better than any other city on earth.
It strikes me that everything we do is very well mapped out for us either by society, ourselves or those close to us, and we go to pain-staking lengths to control our surroundings and yet things still regularly go wrong or at least unexpectedly.
Surely you are just as well off running you life by chance, or as good as, then at least you become adept at dealing with the unexpected,
plus you are never really disappointed, and receive the same joy from success. I cant see anyway better than putting your honor on the line at the whim of an overpaid jockey (and believe me they ARE overpaid, even when the risk to their lives is accounted for) and a terrified horse who is frankly higher than a helicopter!
If you don't believe me I strongly suggest you try and visit Siena during one of the 2 Palios per year (2nd July, 16th August). And unless you are a hermit, or have frankly no sense of fun or adventure, I'm sure you'll agree.
Oh btw please don't visit when I'm there cos I fucking hate tourists!

No comments:
Post a Comment